Chairship / responsibility

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 08:03:55 UTC 2016

Hello *,

On 2016-04-29 at 15:17:43 +0200, Richard Eisenberg wrote:
> Is there a chair of this committee? Herbert has been acting as such
> (thank you!) but doesn't list himself as the chair in the initial
> announcement.
>
> I am **in no way** trying to change any status quo and
> am **not** interested in being chair at the moment, but I just wanted
> to clarify.

Fwiw, I mentioned in the preceding CfN
(https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-prime/2015-September/003936.html)
that

| In consultation with the current members of the Haskell Prime
| committee (and Simon PJ), I have volunteered as chair to "reboot" the
| process and get things rolling again.

But you're right I failed to repeat this in the actual announcement.

However, I don't want to impose myself on the committee as chair. So if
anyone else feels motivated enough to pick up the role as chair with the
agreement of the committee I'll happily hand over the chair position!
:-)

Moreover, this doesn't need to be a static configuration: We could also
rotate the chair position (and other duties) over the lifetime of the
Haskell 2020 committee. There just needs to be one designated chair at
any time to keep things moving.

> The specific reason I ask is that Takenobu Tani recently asked about
> `pseq`. I have no intelligent response to offer, but would want to
> make sure that someone does offer a response. If there is a chair,
> that person is de facto responsible that we, as a committee,
> communicate well, both internally and externally.

You're definitely right. And IMO the chair only needs to step in if
nobody else feels compelled to respond within a reasonable time, e.g. a
few days -- after all, we all have other duties besides the prime
committee :-)

-- hvr