Evaluation order control between two expressions

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 23:17:36 UTC 2016

Well, the value of par x y is identical to that of y, so any expression
which you could use to semantically distinguish pseq from seq using par
could be rewritten into one which did so without involving par.

If the way in which we're telling programs apart involves performance
characteristics then it may already be possible to distinguish seq from
pseq. It somewhat comes down to whether the implementation of the language
is clever enough to notice when compiling seq x y any cases where it might
be better to finish evaluating y first and simply evaluate x before making
the result of that first evaluation available. GHC does do this
rearranging, so probably someone can come up with a good example there.