Infrastructure & Communication

José Manuel Calderón Trilla jmct at jmct.cc
Thu Apr 28 22:36:41 UTC 2016

Hello,

First of all, thanks for all your effort in setting this up!

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel
<hvriedel at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, since Trac has accumulated quite a bit of old content in its
> ticket-tracker over the years, and "Haskell 2020" has been coined a
> reboot. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to start over at GitHub,
> and consider the Trac instance mostly as a legacy archive of historic
> content.
>

> GitHub allows for Git-based workflows, and there's prior art related to
> language design we could steal ideas from, for instance:
>
>  - https://github.com/fsharp/FSharpLangDesign
>  - https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs
>  - https://github.com/golang/proposal
>  - (any others noteworthy?)

This seems like the pragmatic way forward. And, as you say, there's plenty
of evidence from other language communities that it can work effectively.

> IMO, GitHub's issue tracker has become flexible enough for our needs and
> its integration with Git pull-requests allows to e.g. group together
> change proposal description/motivation, discussion, and finaly the delta
> to the haskell-report (with inline annotations/reviews) and so on.
> (However, I consider GitHub's Wiki-component quite weak. I'm not sure
> what to do about that. Maybe keep using Trac's wiki for that?)

I personally have no problem with a Trac wiki. That being said, the Rust
model of having an RFC repo seems to have worked really well for them
and allows for easy discussion and comments from the community at large.
If we choose to go that route I would gladly take the time to gather relevant
info from the Trac wiki and organize it similarly to the way the Rust team has.

> Does anyone object to using GitHub?

I think it's great.

> In case there's no objection, which of the existing language-design
> GitHub projects do you consider a good fit for Haskell Prime and
> therefore worthy of imitation?

I'm a big fan of the Rust model myself.

Thanks again for your effort in getting all this off the ground,

Jose