Breaking Changes and Long Term Support Haskell

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Oct 22 19:14:18 UTC 2015

| >     Are these three technical capabilities *all* that we would need?
| >     Perhaps
| >     we also need a way to tie the current language (-XHaskell98,
| >     -XHaskell2010) to a particular implementation of the Prelude.
| >

| > I don't have a concrete plan here. I'm not even sure one can be
| > achieved that works. I'd say that the burden of figuring out such a
| > thing falls on the party that can create a plan, pitch it to the
| > community and potentially implement it.

In fact there is more than one concrete plan: https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/IntrinsicSuperclasses

All are complex, only partially designed, entirely unimplemented (and the implementation will be non-trivial), and lacking an active champion.  The one I link to above is probably the leading contender, but it feels too complicated to me.