Breaking Changes and Long Term Support Haskell

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Oct 21 21:48:59 UTC 2015

While we are here, let me say

  A BIG THANK YOU TO THE CORE LIBRARIES COMMITTEE

Library design has a lot of detail, and a lot of competing priorities.  I am personally very grateful to the CLC for the work they put into this. Like many crucial tasks it's one that often seems to attract more complaints than thanks, but they are doing us all a huge service, and at significant cost in terms of their most precious and inelastic commodity: their personal time.

Remember, as Dan says, before the CLC we no process whatsoever for library evolution... various people made various patches, and there was no way of getting anything substantial done.  So we are far far further on than before.

Still not perfect, as my last post said. But still: THANK YOU.

Simon