Anonymous records. A solution to the problems of record-system.

AntC anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Mon Oct 14 20:44:15 UTC 2013

> Ramana Kumar <ramana at ...> writes:
>
> This list is [not] for ...

This list _is_ for mature extensions to the language, to be considered for
embedding into the formal standard [as I've been told several times].
So ...

> > On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Nikita Volkov wrote:

Nikita: do you have an implementation of your suggestion, or is it just
a 'bright idea'?

There have been many, many critiques of Haskell's current record system;
and many, many proposals -- this is exactly what's blocking progress.

I'm not sure you've fully characterised all the current difficulties.
(For example: what is to be the principal type for your anonymous records?
 Are two records with the same-named fields, and at the same types,
 but in a different l-to-r sequence to be treated as 'equivalent'?)

I don't see you comparing your suggestion to others. (As Christopher
noted, it does at first sight look like TRex. Do you understand why TRex
was abandoned?)

There's a substantial body of recent debate and suggestions at
http://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Records . This [Northern] Summer's
GSoC project on OverloadedRecordFields that Wvv ref'd is just one point in
the possible design space. You can trace backwards from those wiki pages
to many threads of discussion.