In opposition of Functor as super-class of Monad

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Thu Oct 25 02:12:54 CEST 2012

Tony Morris wrote:
> I should hope not. The identity element (return, coreturn, mempty, pure,
> Category.id) is almost never needed.
>
> * http://hackage.haskell.org/package/semigroupoids
> * https://gist.github.com/3871764

Off-topic. Feel free to start a new thread named "The bombastic one-and-true
class hierarchy I always wanted to have". These proposals have their merits,
and I greatly respect the category theoretic knowledge that went into them
-- but this is another discussion. This thread refers to a rather modest
correction in the standard libraries, not a complete re-design. The idea is
to fix something that is widely accepted as an unfortunate ommision (in
fact, Oleg's comment is one of the very few that question the idea of adding
super class constraints to Monad in principle).

BTW, it is unclear what your "I hope not" refers to, since in both of the
hierarchies you linked to Applicative *is* a super class of Monad.

Cheers

> On 25/10/12 04:49, Ben Franksen wrote:
>> First, let me make it clear that nowadays we are of course (I hope!)
talking

--
Ben Franksen