TypeFamilies vs. FunctionalDependencies & type-level recursion

José Pedro Magalhães jpm at cs.uu.nl
Tue May 29 12:14:18 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM, AntC <anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at ...> writes:
>

> > See also http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/NewAxioms
> > (as yet unimplemented)
> >
> > Simon
> >

> Thank you Simon (and Pedro).
>
> Are you inviting comment/suggestions/requests for clarification at this
> stage?

Definitely! I think the design space should be explored in detail.

> There is plenty of prior work/similar ideas to include in the references.

That document is not a paper draft; it's a draft of a design of a new GHC
extension.

> How's the best way to help? (Without unleashing a maelstrom.)

Perhaps having a wiki page where the problem of OverlappingInstances is
discussed, and alternative solutions are proposed, so that at some point we
can look at all of them and try to make an informed decision. I think it's
good to have a wiki page to guide this sort of email discussion.

Cheers,
Pedro