String != [Char]

Ben Millwood haskell at benmachine.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 23:56:58 CEST 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 13:12, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe your point is that neither "take" function should be used with
>> unicode strings, but I don't see how advocating the Text type is going
>> to help with that.
>

> I think we established earlier that the list-like operations on Text are a
> backward compatibility wart.  Either they should go away, or they should be
> modified to operate on some other level than codepoints.  Probably the way
> the ecosystem should work is that [Char] (or possibly a packed version
> thereof, sort of like lazy ByteStrings with Word32 instead of Word8 as the
> fundamental unit) is the codepoint view and Text is the grapheme view; both
> are necessary at various times, but the grapheme view is the more natural
> one for text /per se/.

Does this mean we've firmly established that there currently is *no*
completely satisfactory method of dealing with Unicode in existence
today? In that case, even if it /will be/ a good idea one day, can't
we agree that it's not the right time to deprecate String = [Char]?
The language has a good history, I understand, of not standardising
that which is not implemented and in common use, so if we'd like to
change Text before introducing it to the language, I say let's do that
separately.

No-one's yet argued against OverloadedStrings. I think there /is/ an
argument to be made, that it introduces ambiguity and could break
existing programs (probably we can extend defaulting to take care of
this, but I think there are people who'd be happier if we killed
defaulting too). Too much polymorphism /can/ be a bad thing. But I
think there's a serious chance we can make that happen, and make Text
a bit more pleasant to work with.

A passing thought: nearly anything can be made an instance of
IsString, via something read-like. This prospect upsets me a little :)
Maybe it would make sense to introduce additional methods, as in Num,
to make sure that some sense is maintained (perhaps toString?)