String != [Char]

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at
Mon Mar 26 19:23:30 CEST 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 13:12, Ian Lynagh <igloo at> wrote:

> Maybe your point is that neither "take" function should be used with
> unicode strings, but I don't see how advocating the Text type is going
> to help with that.

I think we established earlier that the list-like operations on Text are a
backward compatibility wart.  Either they should go away, or they should be
modified to operate on some other level than codepoints.  Probably the way
the ecosystem should work is that [Char] (or possibly a packed version
thereof, sort of like lazy ByteStrings with Word32 instead of Word8 as the
fundamental unit) is the codepoint view and Text is the grapheme view; both
are necessary at various times, but the grapheme view is the more natural
one for text /per se/.

brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at