What is a punctuation character?

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 23:37:40 CET 2012

Hello,

So I looked at what GHC does with Unicode and to me it is seems quite
reasonable:

* The alphabet is Unicode code points, so a valid Haskell program is
simply a list of those.
* Combining characters are not allowed in identifiers, so no need for
complex normalization rules: programs should always use the "short"
version of a character, or be rejected.
* Combining characters may appear in string literals, and there they
are left "as is" without any modification (so some string literals may
be longer than what's displayed in a text editor.)

Perhaps this is simply what the report already states (I haven't
checked, for which I apologize) but, if not, perhaps we should clarify
things.

-Iavor
PS:  I don't think that there is any need to specify a particular
representation for the unicode code-points (e.g., utf-8 etc.) in the
language standard.