String != [Char]

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at
Mon Mar 19 20:55:01 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 15:39, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at>wrote:

> Don't forget that with -XOverloadedStrings we already have a IsString
> class.  (That's not a Haskell Prime extension though.)

I think that's exactly the point; currently it uses [Char] initial format
and converts at runtime, which is rather unfortunate given the inefficiency
of [Char].  If it has to be done at runtime, it would be nice to at least
do it from a more efficient initial format.

brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at