What is a punctuation character?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 11:36:21 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 05:56, Gabriel Dos Reis <
gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

> The fact that the Report is silent about encoding used to
> represent concrete Haskell programs in text files adds
> a certain level of non-portability (and confusion.)  I found

Specifying the encoding can *also* limit portability, if you specify an
encoding that is not widely supported on some target platform.  (Please try
to remember that the universe is not composed solely of Windows and Linux.
 The fact that those are the only ones you care about is not relevant to
the standard; nor is the list of platforms that GHC or any other
implementation supports.)

Encoding does not belong in the language standard; it is an aspect of
implementing the language standard on a given platform.