What is a punctuation character?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 21:22:24 CET 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 15:20, Gabriel Dos Reis <
gdr at integrable-solutions.net> wrote:

> I believe this part has seen very little change from the Revised
> Haskell 98 Report.

I was in fact looking at the Haskell 98 report at the time.

> It is not clear that it is an unintended leftover.  Section 2.1 that

Nothing is ever clear.  This useless pedanticism being stipulated, there is
no purpose to a completely overlapping category unless it is intended to
relate to an earlier standard (say Haskell 1.4).

> Unicode support is clearly intended.  Also clearly, ASCII support is
> intended.
> However, the Report does not say what the concrete syntax of a Unicode
> character
> should be. (At least I have been unable to find it from the report.)

Maybe what needs to be pedantically specified is that the link to the
Unicode standard is intended to be inclusion of that standard by reference
(the [11] in the section I quoted is an endnote referencing the Unicode
standard) and not merely informational.  Or are you insisting we are not
precise enough unless we enumerate all the Unicode characters explicitly in
the Haskell standard?