Proposal: require spaces around the dot operator

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Fri Feb 10 17:33:15 CET 2012

On 02/10/2012 06:09 AM, Gábor Lehel wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Isaac Dupree
> <ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org>  wrote:
>> I support requiring spaces around the dot operator, *even if* we don't ever
>> end up using it for anything else.
>
> +1.
>
> I would support requiring spaces around _all_ operators. I can't
> immediately think of any operator where it would be detrimental, at
> least, albeit my memory is not the greatest.

FWIW, it's pretty common to sometimes omit spaces around arithmetic
operators +, -, *.  This was common enough to derail the idea to make
negative integer literals be lexed ( "-", no space, numeric literal ).
So you'd have to fight that battle.

I think spaces around all operators sounds nice in a new language; I'm
not sure about Haskell.

-Isaac