Proposal: require spaces around the dot operator

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Feb 10 04:14:07 CET 2012

I mean, it is not worth worrying about the syntax until the extension has been
 implemented, used, and proven useful to begin with. Monads were in use
well before the 'do' notation. Shaking out what the base primitives that make
up a monad took a while to figure out.

Even discussing syntax feels a little like a garage band discussing what
the lighting of their  stage show will look like before they learned to play
their instruments.

If we can implement it and test it without breaking existing code, why
wouldn't we? It would mean more people can experiment with the
feature because they wouldn't have to modify existing code much. So
we will have more feedback and experience with how it interacts with
other aspects of the language.

    John