Proposal: require spaces around the dot operator

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Fri Feb 10 03:11:47 CET 2012

Similar to proposal #20, which wants to remove it, but immediately
less drastic, even though the long-term goal is the same.
This helps clear the way for the usage of the unspaced dot as a record
field selector as shown in proposal #129.

After this proposal shows clear signs of moving forward I will add a
proposal to support a unicode dot for function composition.
After that we can all have a lively discussion about how to fully
replace the ascii dot with an ascii alternative such as <~ or <<<
After that we can make the dot operator illegal by default.

This has already been discussed as part of a records solution on the
ghc-users mail list and documented here:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Records/DotOperator