Status of Haskell'?

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 22:21:19 CET 2012

2012/11/30 Gábor Lehel <illissius at gmail.com>:
> Well, I'm not so sure it's a great idea to just bake "what GHC
> does at this moment" (for any particular extension) into the
> standard without really thinking about it. Even then, you have
> to figure out, in great detail, what GHC does, and write it
> all down! That's not negligible effort, either. And the
> alternative is to also publicly discuss and hash all of it out
> down to the little tiny gritty stuff. But wanting to write a
> new standard (big effort!) just to get rid of some pragmas and
> make people feel better (small payoff!) feels like a mismatch
> to me.

It is a large payoff, considering the thousands and thousands of
people that it creates a small payoff for: people writing
Haskell, people learning Haskell, people teaching Haskell. A
standard is a lot of effort for a handful of people.

--
Jason Dusek
pgp // solidsnack // C1EBC57DC55144F35460C8DF1FD4C6C1FED18A2B