Creating a list of extensions to add to Haskell'

Freddie Manners f.manners at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 01:10:43 CEST 2012

> If the most used extensions are theoretically sound
> and improve software developed with them, they should be included in the
> next Haskell standard.

I think that may be oversimplifying the issue.

For example, there are cases such as FunDeps and TypeFamilies where --
probably -- precisely one should end up in the language, but we're not sure
which -- or maybe there's some other solution yet to be found which is
better than both.

We're never going to find out which it is unless people write a lot of code
using both extensions (and that code gets onto Hackage).  However, adding
both to the standard at this stage would probably mean removing one or both
later, which causes even bigger problems.

When an extension is no longer supported,
> or another Haskell compiler must be used,
> this may lead to a lot of maintenance work.

I think there's a degree of "common knowledge" out there that some
extensions (FD's and TypeFamilies included) are here for
the foreseeable future -- i.e. they're pretty stable and certainly the
compiler isn't going to forget about them soon.  Others are maybe more
experimental or obsolete.  I agree that if that information isn't clearly
written down somewhere, it should be.

Packages, using rejected extensions, should be redesigned or shunned
> (marked as such in Hackage).

It might be useful to have a commonly used "Portability" entry on Hackage,
as in Haddock (unless there is one?).  But, usually code that uses rejected
extensions will also have ceased to compile a long time ago, which you can
see in Hackage.  If you have a counterexample that would help.

Regards,
Freddie