TypeFamilies vs. FunctionalDependencies & type-level recursion

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Tue Jun 21 10:08:58 CEST 2011

I suppose that could be changed, yes, but what exactly are we trying to solve here? One can already specify different behavior for constructors with/without named fields. Are we trying to avoid OverlappingInstances? Then yes, this might help, but I'm not sure this change alone would make all generic programming possible without OverlappingInstances.

To be clear, I wasn't advocating a change, just saying that there's no GHC-HQ imperative to avoid them.

Simon