TypeFamilies vs. FunctionalDependencies & type-level recursion

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 29 13:42:15 CEST 2011

Friends

This has been an interesting thread, but I've been on holiday, and been busy bug-fixing etc, so my cache is very cold.  Moreover, I remember that there was much of it that I wasn't following anyway.  It's tricky.

So, let me ask: does anyone (eg Oleg) have concrete proposals on the table for things they'd like GHC to do?

Arising from the thread, two particular things jump out at me.  I'm not planning to do anything immediate about either of them.

1.  Support for type representations.  Oleg showed this:

| I have implemented type-level TYPEREP (along with a small library for higher-order
| functional programming at the type level).  Overlapping instances may indeed be
| avoided. The library does not use functional dependencies either.
|
| 	http://okmij.org/ftp/Haskell/TTypeable/

Yesterday, Brent, Stephanie, Dimitrios, Julien and I were talking about better support for type reps too, something like a better Typeable class:
	class BetterTypeable a where
	  typeOf :: Proxy a -> BetterTypeRep a
	data Proxy a
The "better" part is that
	- Both BetterTypeable and Proxy could be poly-kinded, so we didn't need
	  Typeable1, Typeable2 etc
	- BetterTypeRep is type-indexed (unlike the current TypeRep)

But BetterTypeRep is still a value-level thing.  You want a type-level type representation, for reasons I don't yet understand.

In any case, *some* built in support for getting at type reps seems reasonable; the question is exactly what.

2. Support for overlapping type function equations.

There seems no reason in principle to disallow
	type instance F where
	  F Int = Bool
	  F a = [a]
There is overlap, but it is resolved top-to-bottom.  The only real difficulty with this is how to render it into FC.  The only decent way seems to me to be to allow FC axioms to do pattern matching themselves.  So the FC rendering might be
	ax32 a = case a of
                  Int -> F Int ~ Bool
That is, the axioms become type-indexed.  I don't know what complications that would add.

Simon