Local definitions in the class instances

Boris Lykah lykahb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 11:41:02 CET 2011

Thanks for pointing at the problems with new and default class
functions. But if we distinct the local and class functions I see no
other problems.

Iavor, your local/in suggestion is very interesting. I would like to
see local declarations in the Haskell standard some day. However, it
affects much more than class instances and needs a lot of discussion.
It can conflict with let/in construct.

In the example with export I would rather use
> module M hiding (not exported functions) where
It is more coherent with the import syntax, though local definitions
are more generic.

I know GHC internals a little and would like to learn more. When I
finish my diploma paper, I can try to implement some extensions which
the community considers useful.

--
Regards,
Boris