In opposition of Functor as super-class of Monad

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 21:54:02 CET 2011

Hi,
indeed, this is called "ap" in Control.Monad.  So if we have an instance of
Monad, all that needs to be done to support the other instances is:

instance (SameContextAsTheMonadInstance) => Functor MyType where fmap =
liftM
instance (SameContextAsTheMonadInstance) => Applicative MyType where pure =
return; (<*>) = ap

Furthermore, this is only in the cases where we are defining the type from
scratch, and not using a library like monadLib or MTL, otherwise a simple
"deriving" is sufficient.

-Iavor