In opposition of Functor as super-class of Monad

Martijn van Steenbergen martijn at van.steenbergen.nl
Tue Jan 4 11:49:50 CET 2011

Method C: Define fmap in terms of bind

> instance Monad m => Functor (Iteratee el m) where
>   fmap = liftM

Now you need to do the inspection of Iteratee only once: in the
definition of the bind. However, to use liftM as implementation of fmap
the superclass constraint of the Functor instance has changed from
Functor to Monad.

Is this a problem? If so, method A seems the way to go: you could argue
that `Functor m => fmap :: (a -> b) -> Iteratee el m a -> Iteratee el m
b' is more general than the `Monad m =>' version (works for more `m's)
and therefore deserves to redo the analysis of Iteratee.

Martijn.