Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Reachable variables exercise

Carlos Camarao carlos.camarao at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 23:10:33 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carlos Camarao <carlos.camarao at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Reachable variables exercise
To: Luke Palmer <lrpalmer at gmail.com>

boolify o has type Boolable a => Bool under the proposal, then
we have ambiguity, type error, right?

In general, consider 'e' as (g:: K=>a -> t) (o:: O a=>a); then the
type of 'e' has constraint (O a) iff 'a' occurs in t.

Let's think about how could 'a' not occur in t. That happens if 'o' is
not needed for computing the result; well, or, as in your example, 'g'
is overloaded and requires the argument to resolve the overloading
('a' occurs in K and does not occur in t), in which case K=>t is
ambiguous.

Cheers,

Carlos