prefix operators

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sat Jul 10 17:02:25 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 09:33:52AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 09:45, John Meacham wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 07:09:29AM +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
>>> (ie as infix operators) and I have to squizzle around to re-interpret them as prefix operators.  Not very cool.  Something unified would be a Good Thing.
>>
>> So, after thinking about it some, I think there may be a somewhat
>> elegant solution.
>
> I like the sound of it.  I put the code for the Haskell 2010 fixity
> resolver together with a little testing framework in the haskell-prime
> repo:
>
>   http://darcs.haskell.org/haskell-prime

There is also my one-pass layout algorithm that requires no interaction
with the parser that I believe still has promise. It was able to
properly layout all the wild code I threw at it (all of nofib). With the
addition of that, we may achieve the holy grail of fully independent
lexing,layout,parsing,and fixing of haskell code, and a specification
that has a direct correspondence to an implementable algorithm!

I actually just noticed that my layout code is now implemented in ghc:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/AlternativeLayoutRule
I am curious what the results will be, I know that adding pattern guards
to it would be complicated, I will have to check out how my algorithm
was modified.

        John