PROPOSAL: Include record puns in Haskell 2011

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Wed Feb 24 14:06:03 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 06:54:44PM +0000, Thomas Davie wrote:
> The problem though, unless I'm misunderstanding, is that you *must*
> enforce one or other convention here.  Either you force everyone who's
> style is to never shadow things to do so because of this language
> feature, or you remove the language feature and trample on the other
> crowd.

Hmm? I don't see how this language feature forces shadowing any more
than allowing shadowing anywhere else in the language. It is not
proposed that field punning replace the previous mechanism for assigning
or pulling values from fields, just that it be added as an option. Just
as it has always been an option to shadow variables in do notation.

        John