PROPOSAL: Include record puns in Haskell 2011

John Meacham john at
Wed Feb 24 13:52:08 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 06:23:39PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 07:07:30PM -0800, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
> I have a feeling I'm in the minority, but I find record punning an ugly
> feature.
> Given
>     data T = C { f :: Int }
> we implicitly get
>     f :: T -> Int
> which punning shadows with
>     f :: Int
> whereas I generally avoid shadowing completely.

I can see the thinking here, but I don't like for the language to try to
enforce 'style' or make decisions based on it. I think it is more in the
spirit of haskell to provide multiple mechanisms when it makes sense and
let the users figure out what works for them stylistically.

John Meacham - ⑆⑆john⑈ -