Functor hierarchy proposal and class system extension proposal

Howard B. Golden hgolden at
Mon Dec 27 23:35:53 CET 2010

In 2006, Ashley Yakeley proposed the functor hierarchy proposal
(, and, in
2007, Brianh (his wiki handle since I don't know his name) proposed the
class system extension proposal

I recently Googled these proposals and didn't see any significant
discussion since they were originally proposed. If there has been some,
please point me to it so I can read it.

Making functor a superclass of monad has the benefit of consistency with
the mathematical definitions. It may also simplify the libraries. The
class system extension proposal makes it possible to inherit the default
implementations of functions from a superclass, thus simplifying the
code that would otherwise be required to create a monad if the functor
hierarchy proposal is adopted.

Is there any interest in considering these proposals for the next
iteration of Haskell'?

Howard B. Golden
Northridge, California, USA