Specific denotations for pure types

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Mar 20 22:55:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 06:31:20PM -0700, Conal Elliott wrote:
> Oh -- not one version of Int for 32-bit execution and another version for
> 64-bit execution?  Seen on #haskell today:
>
> <mux> > maxBound :: Int
> > <lambdabot>   9223372036854775807

Yeah, that is actually a difference between jhc and ghc, jhc always uses
a 32 bit type for 'Int', while with ghc it follows the machines pointer
size. But they do both implement it as a standard haskell data type with
a single unboxed component. I used the jhc definition in my message as I
couldn't remember the exact way ghc defined it off the top of my head.

Although, I don't think any such user visible representation of Int or
other basic types should be mandated by the standard, I think it can be
useful as a way to express a portable denotational model for
understanding what operations on these types mean.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈