Specific denotations for pure types

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Fri Mar 20 18:38:24 EDT 2009

What I want is a specific, simple language-defined denotation for Haskell's
pure types and for pure expressions having those types.

I guess currently the denotation of Int is something like 'MachineInfo -> Z
+ bottom' rather than the Z+bottom I thought it was.   Or, to remove the
junk values, some kind of dependent type 'Pi info :: WadOfMachineInfo -> Int
info + bottom', vs a type like Z32+bottom.  Similarly for other pure (not as
pure as I thought) types.  Even the denotation of Bool & () are influenced
by the denotation of Int, since Bool & () expressions can contain Int
expressions.  Does the (denotational) semantics of every Haskell type indeed
include 'MachineInfo ->' ?

  - Conal