StricterLabelledFieldSyntax

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 10:24:03 EDT 2009

Hi

>> Would it be proper to create a counterproposal for this syntax?
>> ReversedLabelledFieldSyntax?
>
> I would claim that, of the existing Haskell code,
> StricterLabelledFieldSyntax only rejects unclear ("bad") code, and
> requiring it be changed (to be made clearer) is a good thing.

I haven't seen anyone else claim to use the current more liberal
syntax for fields, but I know that I do rather extensively. I would
consider:

Just A {a = 1}

To be confusing, but if you simply omit the space:

Just A{a = 1}

I now find that perfectly clear and unambiguous. I realise this isn't
necessarily a discussion of the merits of the feature, but I don't
consider this removal as clear cut as some people are suggesting.

Thanks

Neil