Haskell 2010: libraries

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 04:29:32 EDT 2009

On 15/07/2009 17:03, Mathias Stearn wrote:
> Would it be possible for the language to require that implementations
> support linking multiple versions of packages (at least base and
> haskell-std) into a single running instance? That would solve the
> issue of using two libs that depend on different versions.

The language definition says nothing about packages.  As far as the
Haskell standard is concerned, a Haskell program is just a collection of
modules, including the Prelude.

I'm fairly keen to keep things simple like this.  The packaging system
can be explained, without modifying the language standard, as a
transformation on module names (e.g. prefixing each module name with an
identifier representing the package instance it comes from).