Haskell 2010: libraries

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Fri Jul 10 06:56:03 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 03:09:29PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
>  1. Just drop the whole libraries section from the report.  The
>     Report will still define the Prelude, however.
>
>     There will be some loose ends where the rest of the report
>     refers to entities from these libraries, e.g. the Prelude
>     refers to Rational from the Ratio library.  We just have to
>     fix up these references, moving the appropriate definitions
>     into the Report as necessary.

Some of the loose ends:

The defaulting rules (section 4.3.4) apply to any class "defined in the
Prelude or a standard library".  The non-Prelude classes involved are
Ix and Random.

The FFI spec refers to types Int8, Int16, Int32, Int64, Word8, Word16,
Word32, Word64, Ptr a, FunPtr a and StablePtr a.  Perhaps they should move
to the Prelude when the non-library part of the FFI spec is incorporated
into the Report?

The Prelude specification imports Char, Numeric and Ratio.  It also uses
(but does not import) IO(BufferMode(..), hSetBuffering, stdio, stdout).
The Numeric specification imports Array, but only uses it for an
optimization of 2^n.