FFI and fixed-size integer types

Ross Mellgren rmm-haskell at z.odi.ac
Tue Feb 10 16:25:29 EST 2009

Reading the FFI spec and information about stdint.h, it looks like
this guarantee holds already -- FFI guarantees that Int<n> and Word<n>
will be n bits wide and will operate with 2^n arithmetic. It looks
like C99 correspondingly defines the same kind of thing for int<n>_t
and uint<n>_t. I guess the only missing piece is there is no
specification of the byte order, though I would be surprised if they
were not both in host byte order.

-Ross