Repair to floating point enumerations?

Mitchell, Neil neil.mitchell.2 at credit-suisse.com
Wed Oct 15 06:25:38 EDT 2008

Hi Malcolm,

The current behaviour does sound like a bug, and the revised behaviour
does sound like a fix - and one that has a sensible explanation if
people trip over it. In general having floating point be a member of
classes such as Eq has some obvious problems, but I realise is a
necessity for practical programming. Given that we have Eq Double, then
Enum Double seems no worse.

If we don't alter H98 then a valid program under H98 vs H' will give
different results without any warning - that seems really bad. In
addition, having two instances around for one typeclass/type pair in a
big library (base) which are switched with some flag seems like a
nightmare for compiler writers. So I think a good solution would be to
fix H98 as a typo, and include it in H'.

Thanks

Neil