PROPOSAL: Make Applicative a superclass of Monad

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 21:05:17 EDT 2008

Hello,
I think that this is a good change to make, and I don't think that it
is in any way related to the introduction of class aliases, which is a
fairly major extension (i.e., it requires changes to the compiler),
that we have no experience with, and whose design has not really be
tried out in practise.

As for breaking Haskell'98 code, Haskell' already makes changes that
break existing code (e.g., the new notation for qualified infix
operators). Cabal's ability to track versioned dependencies between
packages should come in handy in implementing this change.

By the way, I once wrote a module that did exactly what Ashley is
proposing and re-exported everything else from the Prelude, so that
you could use it with GHC's "no-implicit-Prelude" option to try out
the design.  I could dig it out and post it, if anyone is interested.

-Iavor