PROPOSAL: Make Applicative a superclass of Monad

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at
Fri Jun 27 08:42:46 EDT 2008

> >  Haskell' is about fixing existing practice, if it did go in, you
> > would  need some mechanism (i.e. class aliases) to ensure that it
> > didn't  break code.

> ... which is why we need class aliases!!

> I want to see this change, *and* I want to see class aliases. :-)

I want class aliases, and I want to see this change but *only if* we get
class aliases. Functor =/=> Monad is annoying enough, we shouldn't make
it worse without fixing the underlying limitation first.