patch applied (haskell-prime-status): add ""Make $ left associative, like application"

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Wed Apr 23 20:43:36 EDT 2008

<ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com> wrote:
> > There's plenty of code out there that doesn't have the benefit of a
> > vigilant user community ready to spring into action. For example,
> > Credit Suisse has several tens of thousands of lines of code written

> > by internal users who are not Haskell experts, and it would be
rather
> > hard to explain to them that they needed to go through it all and
fix
> > it.

> What makes them need to update to Haskell' instead of sticking with
Haskell '98?

(a) the fact that the code already uses several GHC extensions that will
be in Haskell' and we would like to be closer to standard code
(b) the expectation that at some point implementations will stop
supporting
H98

Is there not a general expectation when a new language standard comes
out that
people will migrate to it (perhaps over time)?

Ganesh