Meta-point: backward compatibility

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Wed Apr 23 14:16:35 EDT 2008

There appears to be some question as to the backward compatibility goals
of Haskell'.  Perhaps it's worth bringing out into the open.

>From conversations I've had and things I've read, I've always gathered
that the main goal of Haskell' is to address the slightly embarrassing
fact that practically no one actually writes code in Haskell, if by
Haskell we mean the most recent completed language specification.  This
obviously argues strongly for a high degree of backward compatibility.

On the other hand, I am assuming everyone agrees that we don't want to
replicate Java, which (in my view, anyway) is rapidly becoming obsolete
because of an eagerness to make the language complex, inconsistent, and
generally outright flawed in order to avoid even the most unlikely of
broken code.

--
Chris