patch applied (haskell-prime-status): add ""Make $ left associative, like application"

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Wed Apr 23 04:26:17 EDT 2008

> I believe that migrating code will be quite a task
> regardless of the outcome here,

NonDecreasing indentation and the removal of n+k patterns are
the only accepted proposals I can see that might affect existing
code. The former is already standard practice and the latter
is unlikely to be that disruptive, as their use has been
discouraged for some time.

> but at least for
> the packages that are in Hackage, the system helpfully
> reports build failures, so we'll know where the breakages
> are, and roughly what's left to be done.

There's plenty of code out there that doesn't have the benefit
of a vigilant user community ready to spring into action. For
example, Credit Suisse has several tens of thousands of lines of
code written by internal users who are not Haskell experts, and
it would be rather hard to explain to them that they needed to
go through it all and fix it.

Ganesh