patch applied (haskell-prime-status): BangPatterns: probably accept ==> undecided

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Apr 18 05:54:51 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 08:36:42AM +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Not allowing infix functions on the LHS would be a notable
> simplification.  Constructors in patterns should still be infix of
> course: f (a :=: b) = ...

I don't know, I think this will confuse things, especially for newbies,
people tend to say things like:

a + b = foo

as "a plus b is foo", and so would probably naturally write it in infix
form, it would be a source of confusion if the compiler didn't accept
it.

I don't think saying ~ and ! are operators unless they

1. immediately followed  by a '(', a letter, or an underscore
2. are preceded by whitespace or BOL

is that onerous.

        John

--