patch applied (haskell-prime-status): proposal: remove string gaps

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at
Tue Apr 1 18:57:04 EDT 2008

>   > If you have two features battling each other, you probably need to
>   > remove one of them. CPP isn't going to be removed, which kind of
>   > forces the issue...
>  Well, for the record, I've used both CPP and string gaps
>  extensively. And all I've done is to be careful to run CPP
>  only where needed (and avoid string gaps there), which seems
>  rather sensible to me anyway, string gaps or not.

Having two "features" which can't be used together in the same file
seems ridiculous. It gets much worse if you decide "ghc --make -cpp"
is the way you want to build your application, as we used to do for
Yhc. I suggest that if string gaps don't get removed, then GHC should
fix its -cpp flag.