Suggestion for module system (to get rid of many uses of unsafePerformIO)

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Wed May 23 03:22:58 EDT 2007

Stephen Dolan wrote:

> Would this be useful, useless, or just downright silly?

The silence is deafening :-)

I think what you're describing seems to be so completely different
from Haskell as it is now that that people either don't understand
it, or they do understand it and do think it's downright silly, but
are just too polite to say that. Maybe you should try writing it up
in a more comprehensible form on a Haskell wiki page.

I would say that I get worried when people talk about "module
initialisation" and/or (potentially) side effecting imports. I'm
not sure if this is a problem with what you're proposing, but
I think it's important that we don't get into a situation where
the mere presence or absence of some definition in a module can
influence program behaviour, even if it isn't referenced by main
somehow.

Regards
--
Adrian Hey