default fixity for `quotRem`, `divMod` ??

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 04:09:16 EDT 2007

Hello Isaac,

Monday, June 18, 2007, 9:20:29 PM, you wrote:

> I was just bitten in ghci by `divMod` being the default infixl 9 instead
> of the same as `div` and `mod`.

one of my hard-to-find bugs was exactly in this area: i wrote
something like  x `div` y+1  instead of  x `div` (y+1)

so, based on practical experience, i have opposite proposal: give to
all `op` lowest precedence (a bit higher than of '$') because it
complies to its visual effect

otoh this relates to my other (too revolutionary) proposal: bind "x+y"
more closely than "x * y" for any (+) and (*), i.e. operation written
without spaces around it should increase its priority by whole 10
points. it will allow significantly decrease amount of parentheses:

f a+b*c x:xs  ++  g u&&v record.$field

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com