What separates lines in Haskell code?

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho antti-juhani at kaijanaho.fi
Thu Jun 14 09:21:11 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 09:11:12AM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> In the report, under the layout rule (section 9.3), "The characters
> newline, return, linefeed, and formfeed, all start a new line."  (Which
> four characters are those? from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linefeed ,
> I'm guessing "LF: Line Feed, U+000A", "CR: Carriage Return, U+000D",
> "FF: Form Feed, U+000C", and what's the fourth one?  Newline usually
> refers to '\n', which is LF, but linefeed has a direct name
> correspondence to that also!)

The H98 lexical syntax defines newline as
  newline 	 -> 	 return linefeed | return | linefeed | formfeed

It could, I suppose, also refer to the Unicode character U+2028 LINE SEPARATOR,
but then probably U+2029 PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR ought to be included as well.

There are, BTW, Unicode guidelines for newline usage in section 5.8 of the
Unicode 5.0 online edition.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Jyväskylä
http://antti-juhani.kaijanaho.fi/newblog/