Make it possible to evaluate monadic actions when assigning record fields

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at
Thu Jul 12 08:26:37 EDT 2007

> > This extension seems like a great idea - my only concern would be
> > about the order of computations. Clearly left-to-right makes sense,
> > but this may break some natural intuition in Haskell:
> i think that undefined order will be a best one

Using "undefined" does not make for great reading in a standard! You
just know that Hugs will pick right to left, Yhc will pick left to
right, and GHC will offer a flag to choose between them ;)

We have to pick, and there is only one logical choice - left to right.