Nested pattern binding translates to outermost binding?

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Fri Jul 6 15:08:01 EDT 2007

 From Haskell' ticket #76:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/wiki/BangPatterns

 > The main idea is to add a single new production to the syntax
 > of patterns
 >	pat ::= !pat

Experiments (ghci -fbang-patterns -O2 -S, rename identifiers, then diff)
shows that nested pattern bindings are equivalent to the outermost binding:

!(!pat)  ==>  !pat
!(~pat)  ==>  !pat

~(~pat)  ==>  ~pat
~(!pat)  ==>  ~pat

but I do not see any wording to that effect either in the Haskell 98
report, the GHC documentation, or the Haskell' wiki. Have I overlooked
it, or does it follow from the existing language definition?

Dan