[Haskell] Views in Haskell

Mark Tullsen tullsen at galois.com
Thu Jan 25 01:48:18 EST 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 6:57 AM, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
 > I'm thinking of implementing it in GHC, so I'd be interested in
feedback of the form
 >        - how desirable is it to have a feature of this general form?

While it looks like a useful extension with a lot of bang for the buck,
I think I'd prefer to live without it; two reasons:
  1) I'm a minimalist
  2) I find that using my pattern combinators
   (http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/tullsen00first.html)
   and do-notation I get by very well without using any of the advanced
   features of patterns.  OK, I guess I'm a little biased.

 >        - can this particular proposal be improved?

I definitely agree with Claus's comment:

 > 5 possible extension 1 smells of superfluous complexity. There is
almost no gain
 >    compared to using tuples, but there's a lot to pay in added
types and rules.m