List syntax (was: Re: help from the community?)

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 12:13:11 EST 2007

On 2/2/07, Douglas Philips <dgou at mac.com> wrote:
> I assert that the trailing comma is a feature, not a programmer
> forgetting "the last element", and that this
> is already explicitly allowed, as per the syntax fragments already
> quoted, repeated here for convenience:
>
> -- from: http://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/syntax-iso.html#sectB.4
> impspec         ->       ( import1 , ... , importn [ , ] )       (n>=0)
>                 |        hiding ( import1 , ... , importn [ , ] )        (n>=0)
> exports         ->       ( export1 , ... , exportn [ , ] )       (n>=0)

Huh? I don't quite see what you're getting at here. The report says
that the trailing comma is allowed in import and export lists, yes.
But you were talking about trailing commas in lists and tuples, which
would be a change to the existing language, not something that's
"already explicitly allowed". Can you clarify what you meant?

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"and there's too much darkness in an endless night to be afraid of the way we